Rabbits/Rabbit has increased respiratory rate

Question
I found a domestic rabbit 5 weeks ago.  My vet examined her and told us that she is less than 1 year old and seemed very healthy.  She was malnourished however has been eating well.  To our surprise she gave birth to 7 bunnies 1 week ago.  Since we've had her I've noticed that her respiratory rate has been quit rapid (110-120 per minute) at rest.  Other than that she seems fine.  There is no wheezing or coughing.  She eats and drinks well.  She runs and plays when she is out of her cage.  She is nursing the babies.  She is not using accessory muscle to breath nor is she panting, she is just breathing fast.  Should I be concerned?  As she has 7 bunnies in her nest I do not want to separate her from them to take her to the vet for an exam.
Please help.
Thanks,
Susan

Answer
Dear Susan,

A young bunny who's feeding babies has her metabolism set on HIGH, and she's probably burning calories like crazy to keep up.  This could explain her rapid respiration rate.  Please be sure to give her plenty of alfalfa-based pellets right now. She needs the calories and protein.  You can also give her small bits of treat food (e.g., banana bits, a 1/2 tsp of whole oats, a few carrot chunks, etc.) just for the extra calories.  If you can get Calf Manna at a feed store, that would be a good calorie supplement for her:  about a teaspoon a day, mixed with her regular pellets.

Also be sure she has constant access to a big *bowl* (not a sipper bottle) of clean water in a ceramic crock that can't easily be spilled.  Her water needs are high now.  This can also be provided with lots of fresh, wet greens (dark green lettuces, cilantro, parsley, mint, dill, kale, etc.).

I hope mama and babies do well, and that you find them all safe, loving homes.  (Be sure to adopt them in pairs, and it's best if you have them spayed/neutered before adoption to avoid any more "surprises".)

Good luck!

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.