Rabbits/rabbits giving birth too late

Good evening. I have been breeding rabbits for more then 20 years. This year strange things are happening. Today my third rabbit gave birth on 38 day. Even weirder is that all except one are alive and lively. She nicely put them in 2 nests, separated 20 centimetres, 4 in each nest. 38 days, and I write down everything on paper, when I let female to my rabbit. 3rd one this year. Another one is today 33 days and still nothing, but is pregnann, looking ok. Can you please tell me how is this possible? I breed rabbits having normally over 6-7 kilograms. I am thanking you in advance for your answer.

Hi Klemen,

Sorry that it took me so long to answer your question.  I wanted to ask around the rabbit community to see if they had ever heard of anything like this.  I literally asked 100's of people on the American Rabbit Breeders page and I found 1 person that had a live litter at 38 days.  I have not been able to find any reason why this has been happening.  I wish I could have a better answer for you but this has really left me stumped.

I will do a little more research and if I can find anything I will respond again.

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.