Rabbits/Stress Urine, Straining To Urinate-Help!

Question
My rabbit is a male and approximately 6 years old. He is a medium/large rabbit, but is overweight at 10.1 pounds. I am currently trying to get him down to a more acceptable 8-9 pounds. His diet consists of pellets and timothy hay.

I was at the vet this week and of course she recommended greens replacing most of the pellets, however, whenever I try to improve the diet with greens, I notice he starts having great difficulty/straining to urinate and the urine is heavy and rust colored. I don't however see any sand or obvious calcium discharge. This usually occurs about 2 days after feeding him the greens.   

Ignoring my better judgment (based on the latest vet recommendation, I fed him dandelions and parsley this week and that issue is again happening worse than ever. Obviously, I stopped feeding him the greens again. Regardless of what his fed, his poop always seems fine.

I've taken him to multiple vets trying to determine what the issue is here (its happened before) and one said that he was "stressed out because we were moving", ridiculous, and others have said he has bladder sludge and needs to lose weight and have his diet improved...well I cant do that as every time I change his diet with greens, he cant urinate!

It only seems to occur when he is fed greens like dandelions, parsley or kale. Things like blueberries or bananas don't seem to make it hard for him to urinate. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank You

Answer
Dear Jim,

It's very unusual for diet to cause so much urinary calcium salts that you'll see this type of relationship.  I would strongly recommend radiographs of your boy's bladder to be sure he doesn't have stones or sludge.  It's possible that the greens are increasing his fluid intake, and that you're seeing him strain to urinate because he's needing to urinate more often.

It's also possible he has a urinary tract infection.  Please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

The foods you mention, kale, dandelion greens, etc. can be high in calcium, but it really depends on where and how they were grown.  Fresh foods are almost never a problem when it comes to calcium metabolism in rabbits.  The only fresh green I do studiously avoid is spinach.

First thing to do is discover whether your bun has sludge or stones.  If so, subQ fluid therapy and gentle bladder expression of a full bladder (after jiggling the bladder to suspend the sludge) can help pass sludge.  If there are stones, then the only truly viable remedy is surgical removal.  :(

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.