Rabbits/Floppy bunny syndrome

Hi my bunny of 5 years of age has become unstable on her legs but is still eating and drinking fine I've been up with her all night keeping her comfortable and warm and making sure she gets plenty of fluids, I've heard that these symptoms can be caused by floppy bunny syndrome.
I can't take her to a vet because it is really expensive but is there anything I can do for her at home to help her get better? Thanks, I've had her for 5 years and would hate to lose my baby girl 😭 This is a photo of her all healthy about 8 months ago, I've only noticed her being unwell since yesterday but her Poo is normal and regular

Hi Caitlin

Sorry to hear your bunny is unwell.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do at home and she will need proper diagnosis at a vets. This could be the result of a stroke, nerve damage to the spine, dietary deficiency (such as potassium or calcium), problems with the inner ear, or the EC (Encephalitozoon cuniculi) parasite which is a neurological parasite so can cause a range of symptoms. There are no home remedies unfortunately, not without knowing exactly what has caused her weakness.

Floppy Rabbit Syndrome is a thing but is a name for the symptoms and the cause can be a range of things as mentioned above.

At home all you can do is make her comfortable but it would be more likely you would sadly lose her without any vet treatment. Can you borrow funds from anywhere? My pair are insured with a pet insurer to cover illnesses.

Sorry I don't have better news!

Good luck

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.