Rabbits/Urgent: bunny drooling, sore under tongue infected and with necrotic tissue

Question
Dear Dr Dana,
Please, I need advice to help my bunny. Here are the details.
My bunny Floppy got back from the vet 7 days ago. He had GI stasis. The vet treated him with IV and an antibiotic bay trio. She sent me home with "Dex" , a steroid, which is the thing he responded to in the hospital.
While he was in there the vet noticed Floppy was drooling so she suggested we do a dental exam and tool filing. She did and she found an ulcer under his tongue , infected, w necrotic tissue.
I have him home now these last seven days and he is eating and drinking and passing decent poops. But I can see he is drooling more. His chin is wet and I am terribly worried. I take him back to the vet in two days but she's never seen this mouth ulcer in rabbits. What is the treatment?

I am located in Indiana pa.
Thank you(ps you helped me before).
Teelyn

Answer
Dear Teelyn

I think I have responded to this question directly from my email, but can't find it.  So I'll repeat here:

If bun is still drooling after the molar filing, there could be a dental abscess that needs to be diagnosed and treated.  

Most experienced rabbit vets don't like to use steroids in rabbits, as they can have bad side effects in this species and can suppress the immune system.  That could make a bacterial infection worse.

I'd suggest head radiographs (x rays) to see if any sign of dental infection can be found.

Mouth ulcers can be caused by molar spurs scraping the area, and it's possible that a really bad spur could be the culprit here.  The vet might want to check for a foreign body.  The good news is that once the source of the irritation is removed, the mouth mucosa tend to heal quickly.

I hope your bunny will be well soon.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.