Rabbits/Lionhead with multiple issues

I have a 9 yr old Lionhead. He lost his best friend July 11th. since then, he's been up and down with his food. He does seem to have pica. We offer him phonebooks, willow balls, and grass mats but he wants the carpet. Fresh hay is always avaliable, but he won't eat it. He gets an Oxbow Digestive Support tablet everyday for extra fiber. Recently, he's been very weird with his food. He'll eat his greens: Romaine or leaf lettuce, carrot tops, and cilantro but then he either seems to kind of choke on it or chew it for a LONG time. He won't eat his dried fruit pieces or carrots, which is NOT normal. he does seem to eat some pellets but not the normal amount. Are his food issuses related to eating carpet, or could it still be about my other bunny's passing? Is there something we can give him that will increase his appetite? How can I get him to stop eating the carpet, and is there something we can give him to help him pass it? He's also been having runny eye problems. We went to the vet and were given Ciprofloxacin eyedrops. It didn't help, so we went back and were given Baytril oral medication. It seems to be working, but he might be losing fur around his eyes. Is there anything we can do about that? Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry, it's so long, but I don't want to lose another bunny.

Hi Kristin,

I am going to recommend that you contact Dr. Dana Krempels about this issue.  She may be able to give you a better answer.  My suggestion to get him to stop eating the carpet would be to cover the carpet with a thin sheet of plywood and lay a soft fleece on the plywood so he can walk easier.  

When you took him to the vet did they check his teeth?  Usually when a bunnies eating habits change it has to do with changes or spurs in its back molars.  If they did not take out a little tool and look in his teeth then I suggest you take him back or find another vet.  His teeth could also cause runny eyes.  If you get his teeth filed down it could stop all of his problems.

It is hard to lose a pet.  A 9 year old bunny is very elderly.  He is going to have a lot of changes in his habits because as he ages his body will have changes the same as a human would.  You just have to make him comfortable and keep him mobile and you are doing all you can.

Good luck and I hope that you find some better answers.

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.