Rabbits/Rabbits eyelid

Good afternoon,

I was hoping you could help me with the following question. The Dutch vets don't know what to do about this! I have 2 French lops, Jack and Jimmy. Both have pretty loose eye lids, but Jack has the worst problems. Every now and then (especially when the resist is low, for example during exuviation) his lower eyelid starts drooping. It looks bad actually and it's annoying him. He squishes his eyes during that period, usually about 3 days. Have you ever heard of this? I seem to be the only one in Holland experiencing these problems.. It's no dehydration, since the skin isn't staying up if I pull it. The vet is thinking of low blood pressure, but why only several days and not 24/7?

Do you have any ideas about this? What can I do to help him? I already gave ointment with vitamin A, I could try to flush his eye with saline solution.

Kindest regards,

Hi Herma

Poor buns! Unfortunately Lops are more prone to head structure issues than other breeds, both the very large Lops like Frenchies and the very small ones too. I have not seen issues with drooping eyelids, but have seen rabbits with "cherry eye" - problems with their third eyelid which causes it to become inflamed.

Has the vet done any x-rays or ct scans to see what's going on inside the skull and see if anything is an issue there? Are the two rabbits siblings? I'm wondering if it's a peculiar genetic defect.

Unfortunately that's the limit of my knowledge as I'm not a vet. You could try emailing the UK organisation, Rabbit Welfare Association, along with some photos of their eyes and their resident vet, Richard Saunders, could see if he could offer any information?

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.