Rabbits/Urgent!! Rescued rabbit bitten by mongoose

Question
Hi

I'm a resident of India and have no access to any exotic vets in my area. I recently rescused an abandoned Dutch rabbit from a mongoose. Sadly one of them passed away, but I could get the other one. Though this one has a bite mark on it's head which is probably of that moongoose. It's been around 30 hours since the bite now,  I've cleaned the wound and applies betadine twice already, and the rabbit is eating and playing fine. I want to know if there is any health risk to the rabbit due to the bite?  Could he get any infections?  Is there something else I need to do?  My mother is a doctor so we have meds available at hand but we do not know enough about this subject though I do own another rabbit.  Please advice.

Answer
Hi Poorvi,

I have no idea what kind of bacteria mongoose have in their mouths.  There is a chance that the bunny could get an infection.  It is more likely to get an abscess.  I would HIGHLY recommend that you order something called Healx Soother Plus.  It is the most amazing product and you do not need a prescription for it.  I will put a link below.  I can't tell you what to do about antibiotics but I will tell you that if it was my bunny, I would treat it with injectable bicillin (G Benzathine/G Procaine).  It just became illegal in the US to treat your animals with penicillin without a prescription but you may be able to get it in your country at a farm supply store.  If you do decide to use it, it MUST be INJECTED.  Oral penicillin causes fatal enteritis in rabbits.  If it was my rabbit I would give it an injection of .25 ml every other day until the wound is healed.  Penicillin has been overused in rabbits (and all other species) and now most bacterias are resistant.  It still proves successful with abscesses but it may literally take months for them to heal.  The Healx will promote healing and you can order it on online and get 2 day shipping.  If your rabbit shows any signs of infection please send me a new message and mark it private.  

Thank you for saving the bunny.  I wish you good luck.

Paula
http://www.healthychoicepetproducts.com/products/Soother-Plus-Topical-Cream.html

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.