Rabbits/Cold Weather

Question
I recently moved to a condominium that has an all-enclosed balcony. It it OK to keep my bun out there in the cold weather? He has free run and LOVES not being caged but I do worry how cold is too cold for him to be out there? Like I said, it is completely glassed in so he is not exposed to any elements but I want to make sure he doesn't get too cold. I did place a blanket over his cage in case he wants to warm up but he doesn't stay in the cage. I put a space heater on low out there but it doesn't warm it very much. Thanks!

Answer
Dear Kristina,

Rabbits love cool temperatures, but once it gets colder than about 45 Farenheit, he will need a secure box with warm bedding and hay to stay warm.  His body heat will warm it, so be sure the holes are not so big that it gets drafty.

If it gets down below 40 Farenheit, it's time to bring him inside where he won't be too cold.  Other than that, just be sure he has plenty of warm refuge space with soft, clean bedding, and he should be fine.  

I'd worry much more about *hot* weather, as rabbits cannot tolerate temperatures much higher than about 78 Farenheit.  So in the warmer months, you'll need to bring him inside if it gets up that high.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.