Radiant Floor Heating/Leak in pex under cement in sand

Question
My pex in in the sand under the cement floor. The cement man put 2 inch insulation 2ft down to insulate one part of my floor in case I want heated storage and cold storage one day. For now I am heating all of my 50x50 storage shed with a waste wood boiler. Two zones leak and one drops air pressure quick and the other slow. My air fitting did not leak and I monitored them with a soap mixture. I think it is likely the leak for both is in the ares of the insulation buried where both these zones run through this area. I lost a lot of water and that winter a small service door heaved up and did not fit leading me to believe the water traveled along this joint partitioning the two floors. Should it put high pressure and high volume of air and listen for the leak? Don't want to dig up cement unless I am sure.
Got ideas?

Answer
Badger Radiant Designs
Badger Radiant Designs  
Sorry to hear about your problem but it makes a good argument for professional design. We hear a lot about "radiant storage". Very popular in North Dakota to save that cheap off-peak lecticity don't ya no?

The concept of storing heat underground makes sense, but the crude application you describe leaves most wanting more comfort, among other things; like a way to find the highly unusual leaks you describe. Frankly, this type of jerry-rigged radiant floor heating system gives the category a bad name and gives its detractors more to talk about.

I would not waste time on a marginal system such as you describe. Instead look to wall and ceilings for radiant comfort, or do as so many wood boiler people do and put in one of those awful forced-air hot water fan coils. They aren't as comfortable or efficient as a properly designed and installed radiant slab, but beats freezing all to heck.

On radiant slab systems that have failed for good reason, such as 50 year old copper or steel piped slabs, we often insulate the existing slab, staple PEX to the insulation and pour concrete over all. We also design over-pour systems using several systems that incorporate insulation and PEX positioning all in one.

First, a proper heat load and radiant design.

PS Sand is not a building material nor a good heat sink. It is best used in a sand box for the kids.  

Radiant Floor Heating

Morgan M. Audetat