Radiant Floor Heating/legionella and open radiant floor heating systems

Question
Can you clarify why legionella is a problem in the open system.   Since chlorinated water enters the hot water heater and the water remains in tubing, how does the water become contaminated?  Also, when it is heated to be delivered, doesn't it kill the legionella.    

Are you suggesting that 2 hot water heaters are better:  one at about 120 degrees to heat the radiant flooring and the potable water heater at least 120-144 or so degrees?

Thanks so much for your prompt response as I am holding my project up to resolve this dilemma.

Answer
Legionella is one of several risks associated with open combi water heating systems. Though it has been and continues to be common and accepted practice to use a residential water heater to perform both space and domestic (bathing) hot water, it is not common nor considered good practice to use potable (drinking) water to serve the same system.

The exception to the rule is a close-coupled fan coil such as those build by 1st Company Dallas, TX for decades. You can find 10's of thousand of these coiled piped directly to a tank-type water heater and potable water pumped directly to and from the coil making warm air and hot water for bathing. These systems are typically operated above 130栦or space heating comfort and have been safe for all of my 40 years in the plumbing/heating industry.

Radiant floors tied to open water heaters create a perfect environment for many thing to grow with typically low velocity and low (less than 100栴emperatures).

Even were it safe to operate and open system, I have yet to find a model building code that will allow it and if they did, I would not install them for the various problems that arise in their everyday operation. Hard or soft water, oxygenated will continual flow is bad for system components (more expensive NSF/potable water pumps and all accessories).

Here in Minneapolis we design and install many radiant floor, wall and ceiling heating systems using tank/storage type water heaters including Bradford White combi, Polaris, Vertex and HTP VersaHydro, but all are fit with a proper single-wall heat exchanger to protect our customer's health and the expensive system components found in modern radiant floor distribution systems. Even on our closed systems the radiant side is cleaned and treated for efficiency and long life.

The only valid argument for using an "open" system is that it is cheaper than doing it right.  

Radiant Floor Heating

Morgan M. Audetat