Radiant Floor Heating/Add new zone for radiant slab to existing boiler

Question
Mr. Audetat,

I have a Burnham 204HNSL-BEI2 boiler controlled by a single thermostat which currently serves about 1400 square feet of living space via copper pips and varying sizes of baseboard fixtures in the various rooms.

I'm building a 24x26 garage addition with radiant heat in the slab. A contractor is installing the appropriate amount of radiant pex loops in the slab, and I'm planning on finishing the installation by connecting the radiant pipes in the slab to my existing boiler (the boiler is about 20 feet away from where the radiant pipe will connect). I believe I need to add a zone to my existing boiler along with a heat exchanger to separate the glycol system that heats the slab from the rest of the home baseboard fixtures, but I'm still learning about what is required in order to help me plan the work. Can you help me determine what supplies I need for this work. Let me know what additional information you need from me (or pictures of the existing setup which may help) in order for you to provide any assistance you're willing to offer.

Answer
Assuming you have secured a Manual 'J' heat load for the house and new garage to assure the existing boiler will handle both loads, to add a new radiant slab zone to an old cast iron boiler you need a sub-assembly including a plate heat exchanger to isolate propylene glycol from the heat medium of the boiler system. Further, you will need a mixing valve or other control system to protect the cast iron boiler from condensing.

You must pay careful attention to the type and concentration of anti-freeze--boiler-grade propylene glycol is the only choice here--and prepare to maintain it each season.

There are several ways to protect the boiler while improving comfort and efficiency including simple by-pass piping, mixing valves and injection. Which is right for you is determined by the existing piping, load factors and budget.

You may forward all the details and pictures of the existing systems to info@BadgerRadiantDesigns.com.  

Radiant Floor Heating

Morgan M. Audetat