Radiant Floor Heating/1958 copper radiant not working

Our lower level has radiant heating embedded in a concrete slab.  House was built in 1958 so I assume tubes are copper.  The lower level has 4 rooms.  The heat is not working in one of them (kitchen).  We are also having a problem with our kitchen faucet cold water and we are working to warm those pipes.  The outside temperature has been in the 20s or below for about 3 weeks, sometimes in the single digits. I have turned up the heat, hoping it will spread through the floor of the other rooms to the kitchen and warm up the blockage in the kitchen.

What other tactics should I try at this point?

If I am not successful, how do I go about finding a qualified professional in my area?

Thank you,

I think you are on the right track. If you believe the cold potable is frozen try running the hot at a slow, just-past-a-drip, pace over night. Turn the oven on, crack a window if you burn gas, broil if you have electric and wait...

Pull floor covering away from outside walls and use space heaters where you think you may have a frozen pipe.

Don't set your thermostat back in cold weather since this is the perfect time to freeze something up.

As for finding a contractor; calling for radiant help is probably your best bet.

When you think you have a frozen pipe remember; it is easier to keep up than catch up. Turn everything on, lights, oven, boiler and squeeze the cat. Whatever it takes.  

Radiant Floor Heating

Morgan M. Audetat

Radiant panel heating design, including floors and ceilings, European wall panels and snow melting for residential and light commercial buildings..............................................................-Master of Steam and Hot Water,City of Minneapolis....................................................--- Master Plumber, State of Minnesota...........

30 years..... Charter Board Member - Radiant Panel Association, former manufacturer of condensing boilers, former national distributor of radiant floor products, son and apprentice of mechanical & plumbing contractor. Current mechanical/plumbing contractor specializing in hydronic based, integrated HVAC systems. Radiant floor heating/cooling. Snow Melting. Condensing Boilers. Indirect water heaters. System design, consulting and technical training world-wide. Licensed contractor, designer, installer and consultant.

B.S. University WI 1981 CONTINUING EDUCATION: Viessmann Condensing boiler and Solar water heating certification 2010, N.D.S.U. Lead Worker RRP certification 2010, Knight condensing boiler certification 2009, Wrightsoft Manual J CAD certification 2009, RPA Designer & Installer Certification 2008, Nate Hydronic/Forced Air Certification 2008, Uponor/Wirsbo advanced design school certification 2007, Buderus Wall-hung certification 2007, Power Limited License (low voltage controls) 40 CE credits 2005, Basic Hydronic Certification IPEX & Northern Alberta Institute of Technology 1998, Charter Board Member - Radiant Panel Association 1994, Residential Off-Electric to Hydronic Conversion Heating School Canadian Hydronics Council 1994, B&G Little Red School House 1993, Rood Utilities (now Auburn Technical Institute) Oil Burner School 1993 ,Tekmar Controls residential and commercial 1993, Division Manager and Advanced Hydronic Seminar Instructor for the first Exclusively Hydronic Radiant Floor Distributor in the USA 1990, Hydronic Radiant Heating Association Workshop participant with Richard c. Bourne, PE spring 1988, Master Plumbing, Hydronic, Solar Course Red Rocks Community College 1987.

2009 System Showcase Award - Radiant Panel Association