Radiant Floor Heating/Triangle Tube Prestige Solo 110 'micro explosions"

PVC  and boiler
PVC and boiler  
I have radiant floor heat in my basement heated with a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo 110 boiler.  It also heats the hot water for the rest of my home.  The boiler has been making 'Whooshing" micro explosion noises when it ignites since we built the house in 2011. Twice, the explosions have blown the PVC right out of the boiler.  I have had the plumber who installed the boiler out multiple times (close to 20 times).  He has replaced the igniter at least 3 times, changed multiple other parts, had Triangle Tube service techs out to the house - and each time it works for them before they leave but starts up again soon after.   any suggestions as to what is causing this and what can be done to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
City: Pine Island, Mn

Delayed ignition is a common symptom, similar in cause and effect to an older car backfire. (Shut down the gas. Turn off the power and read on.) The cause is one of gas/air mix in most cases and rarely an igniter issue, though changing parts is satisfying to the young and the ignorant.

Gas pressures should be checked by a competent technician using the proper tools and once ignited, smoothly and quietly, a combustion analysis is always a good idea and mandatory when burning propane.

I would contact to local factory representative and get a licensed contractor from Rochester to come out, with the factory rep, to correct the problem. Hand the bill to your original contractor.

I would also be interested in the size of the boiler. You would have to have an unusually large, over up to 10,000 sq.ft., basement in Pine Island, MN to warrant such a large boiler. Though it has nothing to do with your current issue, over-sizing a boiler is a common first mistake the ill-informed contractor makes on a radiant floor job.

Best of luck

Radiant Floor Heating

Morgan M. Audetat

Radiant panel heating design, including floors and ceilings, European wall panels and snow melting for residential and light commercial buildings..............................................................-Master of Steam and Hot Water,City of Minneapolis....................................................--- Master Plumber, State of Minnesota...........

30 years..... Charter Board Member - Radiant Panel Association, former manufacturer of condensing boilers, former national distributor of radiant floor products, son and apprentice of mechanical & plumbing contractor. Current mechanical/plumbing contractor specializing in hydronic based, integrated HVAC systems. Radiant floor heating/cooling. Snow Melting. Condensing Boilers. Indirect water heaters. System design, consulting and technical training world-wide. Licensed contractor, designer, installer and consultant.

B.S. University WI 1981 CONTINUING EDUCATION: Viessmann Condensing boiler and Solar water heating certification 2010, N.D.S.U. Lead Worker RRP certification 2010, Knight condensing boiler certification 2009, Wrightsoft Manual J CAD certification 2009, RPA Designer & Installer Certification 2008, Nate Hydronic/Forced Air Certification 2008, Uponor/Wirsbo advanced design school certification 2007, Buderus Wall-hung certification 2007, Power Limited License (low voltage controls) 40 CE credits 2005, Basic Hydronic Certification IPEX & Northern Alberta Institute of Technology 1998, Charter Board Member - Radiant Panel Association 1994, Residential Off-Electric to Hydronic Conversion Heating School Canadian Hydronics Council 1994, B&G Little Red School House 1993, Rood Utilities (now Auburn Technical Institute) Oil Burner School 1993 ,Tekmar Controls residential and commercial 1993, Division Manager and Advanced Hydronic Seminar Instructor for the first Exclusively Hydronic Radiant Floor Distributor in the USA 1990, Hydronic Radiant Heating Association Workshop participant with Richard c. Bourne, PE spring 1988, Master Plumbing, Hydronic, Solar Course Red Rocks Community College 1987.

2009 System Showcase Award - Radiant Panel Association