Radio/Creating a Mock Business Plan

Hello there!

I am Monique, and I had several questions about the radio industry that I could definitely use some answers to. I am a college student who is currently taking courses in Communications. More specifically, a Fundamentals in Radio & Broadcasting course that poses a challenge in understanding for me. I was asking to create a mock business plan for this course. As I was gathering my information to include in the "Market Plan" section that's when it occurred to me I have no idea where to begin.

My questions to you are, "How do we look for the right data analysis?" "What type of information is reliable and credible to include in the 'market plan' section? Where are some places to look around for info?" and lastly, "What kind of equipment and costs (price ranges and timetable) should individuals interested in low power FM stations consider?"

Thank you for your time and sharing your expertise! It is greatly appreciated!

Best Regards!

I thought I had already answered this question.  I have only worked in terrestrial radio and am
now involved in internet radio.  LPFM - low power FM is an entirely different sort of radio broadcasting and I have never been involved in the business end of it.  I would recommend which is an independent, grass-roots organization that shepherds applications through the red tape of government application and also advises people who are determined to start a low power fm station.  I myself never got involved in the process because I do not have a myriad of people who are radio experts nor are there any available frequencies are my area.
Typically in a market, there is standard-spacing.  For instance, if there is a station at 99.1
the next station will be 99.9.  If there is a station in-between, it is usually from out of toen or a suburban station, such as at 99.5.  In short-spaced assignments, they will usually place an lpfm station at 99.5 if there is not already one there and occasionally at 99.3 if you are far enough away from the location of the station at 99.1.  lpfm stations are usually weaker stations
(hence the low-power designation) and the antenna height is also lower, because in FM radio, the effective radiated power or equivalent wattage takes into account the actual wattage and also the antenna height to determine actual coverage and signal strength and broadcast area.  I think the
limits are somewhere in the 100's of watts and also antenna height is limited as well, but I am not clear on all the differences.  With conventional FM's, there have been antenna heights in the 100's of feet and some FM stations could have tens of thousands of watts.

Andy Blatt

Questions regarding all aspects of radio (except for technical transmitter questions). Questions like formats, operations, sales, announcing.

College radio: program director and general manager, WCMO, Marietta; WMRT, Marietta (OH); Announcer, WPAR; WIBZ, Parkersburg, WV; Announcer, newscaster, WMOA, Marietta and announcer, copywriter, newscaster at WVOS, Liberty, NY. Announcer, newscaster, WERA, Plainfield, NJ and contributor to other stations, both online and broadcast

BA degree in Mass Media/Management (Radio/eTV & Business) at Marietta College; Courses in webpage design for the internet