Radio/Classical music on HD

There is a local classical music station in L.A. called kMozart, which has had (until today) an AM address at 1260AM and an HD address at 105.1 FM HD2. I was considering putting an ad on the AM station for an upcoming concert of mine. However they are discontinuing the AM station and I must now consider putting the ad on the HD station. I don't know much about classical HD radio stations so I am wondering just how many people would be listening to it, as opposed to the AM station. From what I've heard, few people listen to classical music on AM, but I also don't know how many people listen to HD. Is it a reasonable guess that a lot more people listen to classical music on HD radio than AM radio? Your input appreciated.

That's a tough question, since the same measurements available to gauge HD2 and HD3 are available but have not yet been implemented to the same extent.  I heard about the station changing formats but cannot understand why they call it 1240 when the actual frequency is 1260.

Anyway, the only people who can hear the HD channels are the ones (as far as I know) who have an HD receiver and also the people who use Tune In by Radio Time.  That app is very widespread and most terrestrial radio listening is done online but it is very difficult to quantify.  I think because the AM station was so much more accessible, the format was available there and if people wanted to listen to it with better fidelity and in stereo, they could do it on the FM.  I Believe the FM station is the HD 2 carrier of KKGO and that broadcasts with 18,000 watts.  So, maybe it is a trade-off; something less accessible with more total potential listeners versus something more accessible with a smaller broadcast area.  i would think you might have an opportunity to snag some people listening; just not sure of the reach or the coverage and the results.  It is a shame in a city as large as Los Angeles, there are not more venues to advertise such a thing.  NYC has no commercial am stations either.  One is now a classic rock station and the NY Times got out of the radio biz and WNYC seems to have taken over everything, including New Jersey's public broadcasting as well but it is all non-commercial.  I would suggest maybe short spots, say 10 seconds or 15 seconds and spread them out and then mention something in the ad that would indicate people listened and heard it on the FM HD2.  I worked in radio sales and people used to say on the air "mention you heard this on WERA and we will give you 10% off" but we tried to discourage that because if there were few people listening or if people chose not to respond to that, it indicated a small number of listeners and exposed that ad as something only few people heard.

Andy Blatt

Questions regarding all aspects of radio (except for technical transmitter questions). Questions like formats, operations, sales, announcing.

College radio: program director and general manager, WCMO, Marietta; WMRT, Marietta (OH); Announcer, WPAR; WIBZ, Parkersburg, WV; Announcer, newscaster, WMOA, Marietta and announcer, copywriter, newscaster at WVOS, Liberty, NY. Announcer, newscaster, WERA, Plainfield, NJ and contributor to other stations, both online and broadcast

BA degree in Mass Media/Management (Radio/eTV & Business) at Marietta College; Courses in webpage design for the internet