You are here:

Radio Industry/info for am radio


Our church would like to explore the possiblily of having available information about our church.
we have seen realtors and DOT use this. there is a sign that says tune in to a certain am station for information about ....
Do you have any information about this?
thank you

Hi Beth -

These systems are often called "Whole House Transmitters" - they come in AM or FM.  To remain legal, most FM systems travel about 150 ft from the antenna - which could cover an average parking lot.  The DOT systems are a bit different - they are called TIS (Travelers Information Stations) and they are licensed to the state by the FCC to provide road and traffic updates.  Those are not typically available to consumers.

If you have further questions - feel free to drop me a line via email.  My email is haverhill01835 at gmail dot com.


Radio Industry

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Marc Lemay


Can answer general radio broadcasting questions, voice overs, radio production, radio advertising, station operation, AM radio questions, programming questions, local radio questions, radio marketing, radio tech, radio formats, radio education, podcasting, radio and the internet


More than 20 years experience working for small and medium market radio stations in New England.

High school graduate, learned all I had through the School of Hard Knocks.

©2017 All rights reserved.