Radiology/MR Enterography or MRI of Abdomen Pelvis

Question
Hello Michael.

I'm having intestine problems similar to IBS and I'm choosing not to have a CT Scan because of the high radiation but instead to have an MRI. I know MR Enterography provides a great study of intestines for Crohn's but would the MRI of Abdomen be able to show the intestines as well?

thanks,
Jeff

Answer
Jeff,

I do want to point out that the best study for IBS and evaluation of the bowel is a colonoscopy and small bowel follow though on fluoroscopy. CT or MRI will provide some information like bowel wall thinkening and some potential complications but they are by no means a diagnostic tool for IBS.

So the first question is why do you need CT or MRI?  If you know the answer to that question then I would advise you to go for a CT scan. While MRI is a great tool, there are numerous issues with evaluation of the bowel. Yes, it is much better now than five years ago, and perhaps in a large urban referral center for IBS they may have a great MRI enterography and MRI imaging of the abdomen but if you are not going to a center like that, do youself a favor and get a CT scan.  There is nearly zero risk of developing cancer from a single CT to the abdomen.  Check out xrayrisk.com.

To answer your question - MRI of the abdomen will not evaluate bowel very well because bowel moves around all the time and MRI images will be degraded by this natural bowel motion.

Michael

Radiology

Michael K.