Radiology/PET CT report

Question
Hello,

I wanted clarity on what the following impression in the PET CT scan report meant -

"Mildly Hypermetabolic Bilateral Neck Nodes"

I had a swelling on the right side of the neck for a couple of days and it has not repeated after that. Can you please help!

Thank you,

Irfan

Answer
Hello Irfan,

PET/CT is usually done to figure out if the nodes or other masses are more likely to be cancerous or not. If they are not then they are inflammatory, infectious in nature  which is not as concerning.  PET measures how metabolic the structures are in SUV units.  Highly metabolic implies likelyhood of malignancy is high.  Mildly hypermetabolic implies that the nodes  are unlikely to be malignant in nature.  Your doctor should consult the radiology report regarding specific SUV numbers.  However, if the lymph nodes decreased in size and are no longer enlarged then they were reacting to something that is no longer there, no bid deal as cancer doesn't go away by itself - which is the most important thing.

Hope this helps.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.