Radiology/Stress reaction of distal femur

I have been running for 26 years and never had injury until about six weeks ago pain started at bicep femoris tendon. I continued to train with pain. Eventually I had to take some time off to see if it could heal so I could continue training for upcoming race.  Pain was excruciating dull ache at night time around back of knee to just below  back of mid thigh. It was uncomfortable sitting throughout the day but worst at night. It was painful to hanging leg lifts. After couple weeks of rest, discomfort resolved and I resumed running and pain returned.   Recent MRI findings: ( of knee only)  They are patchy regions of increased T2 weighted signal throughout the distal femur. This involves the femoral diaphysis with extension to metaphysis. Appearance is consistent with stress reaction. No discrete fracture demonstrated.
Small amount of fluid adjacent to iliotibial band.
IMPRESSION: Diffuse increase in T2 weighted signal in the distal femur, likely stress reaction without discrete fracture.
Small amount of fluid deep to iliotibial band, consistent with iliotibial band syndrome

What does this mean and do you think an MRI higher up on leg is necessary to see how far the patchy region continues since this only shows lower part of thigh area? I'm familiar with anatomy terminology but not with the MRI lingo. Is this a stress fracture " wanna be"?

Without looking at the images I can't really say for sure, however, the description from the report certainly sounds consistent with the stress changes.  I do not think more MRI will be helpful. Instead, if one would doubt the MRI findings, a bone scan may be obtained to document the diagnosis better.  
T2 signal does mean edema in the bone which certainly would go with stress changes.

Hope this helps.  Please let me know if I didn't fully answer your question.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology