I am scheduled for a MRI arthrogram to determine if I have a hip labral tear or some other impingement.  I am concerned about the procedure because I have difficulty lying on my back.  I've been told it's a two-hour procedure.  Since I've had this pain for a while, all my systems seem to be be very reactive. The injection, possible reactions, and length of the procedure have me a bit worried, but things have gotten to the point where I need to move forward and find out.  Do you have any suggestions or words of encouragement?

Hello, Connie.

So sorry to hear of your troubles. Your doctor will be able to prescribe something to relax you for your MRI, which may help you be more comfortable on your back. Also, the MRI tech may be able to elevate your head and/or knees a little to make you more comfortable.

Ask your doctor if his treatment of your hip pain will depend on the results of the MRI arthrogram. In other words, if his treatment of you will be the same whether you have a labral tear or not, then proceed with the treatment without having the MRI.

Maybe it would help to get a second opinion before going through with the MRI arthrogram. I would certainly recommend it if you are hesitant about this study.

Hope this helps,
Delia White
Santa Barbara Extremity MRI

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.