Radiology/Diffuse Diminished T1 Signal- 24 Y/O Female, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

My cervical spine MRI revealed "diffuse diminished T1 signal". I am a 24 year old female with Ehlers-Danlos syndrome (hypermobility type) and Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. What does this finding mean?

Hello, Michelle.

"Diffuse diminished T1 signal" indicates that the fat content of the bone marrow in your neck is less than normal. This happens when fat in normal bone marrow (which gives high T1 signal) is replaced by other tissue with a lower T1 signal.

My guess is that your syndromes may be replacing the fat in your bone marrow with another type of tissue. Your doctor is in the best position to advise you on whether this is a serious condition or not.

Hope this helps,
Delia White
Santa Barbara Extremity MRI

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.