Radiology/MRI lumbar spine without contrast

I need help understanding my MRI. Here's the conclusion.
1. Mild annular bulging at L4-5 with mild central broad-based asymmetrical disk bulge but with no asymmetrical disk protrusion or neural impingement. No spinal stenosis or neural foraminal stenosis at L4-5.
2. Mild annular bulging at L5-S1 with no asymmetrical disk protrusion or neural impingement.
3. Hemangiomas are present in the T12 and L3 vertebral bodies with no acute osseous abnormality. No fracture or subluxation. Conus medullaris appears normal and terminates at L1-2.

Hello, Millie.

You have bulging discs at L4-5 & L5-S1 (this is at the level of your waist and below), neither of which have herniated or ruptured. The radiologist didn't see any evidence of nerve compression or arthritic changes in the bony nerve passages. That doesn't mean it's not there - s/he just didn't see any evidence of it on the images.

Here's a FAQ page that can help you learn more about spinal stenosis and other back problems:

You have hemangiomas at two levels, on the last Thoracic vertebra and the third Lumber vertebra. Hemangiomas are non-cancerous, vascular tumors that may or may not be painful. Here's a website with more info on hemangiomas:

And, the end of your spinal cord (conus medullaris) is in the normal place.

As always, your doctor is the one who is in the best position to determine the most appropriate treatment for you.

Hope you feel better soon,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.