Radiology/Re:MRI Lumbar Spine No Contrast

I need a little help understanding these findings prior to going to Ortho to satisfy my curiosity.

L2-L3: Tiny left foraminal disc protusion.
L3-L4:Mild facet hypertrophy.
L4-L5:Mild disc bulge with mild facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavum infolding.
L5-S1:Mild disc bulge with mild facet hypertrophy and ligamentum flavum infolding.

Hello, Sara.

You have a herniated disc at L2-3 and mildly bulging discs (not herniated yet) at L4-5 & L5-S1. For more information about facet hypertrophy:

Here's a great illustration of the ligamentum flavum:

Your ligamentum flavum is folding inward and creating pressure on the spinal canal of your low back.

So, this report says you have pinched nerves and spinal cord compression = low back and leg pain. Your doctor is the best one to give you your treatment options.

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.