Radiology/CT scans picking up disc problems

Question
Hello Michael,
I have had many investigations for the source of abdominal/pelvic pain this year.
My Dr. says she thinks an abdominal CT with contrast will also identify possible Thoracic disc injuries, therefor no need to investigate that area further.
Is this true?
[I have a large extrusion at L1-L2 which I do not think was identified, but will ask for a copy of the report tomorrow]
Thank you for your opinion.
Kathy

Answer
Kathy,

Very often radiologists who read abdominal CT may not mention or notice degenerative changes in the spine or may just include a general statement in the report that such changes are seen at several levels.  The findings are certainly there but one need to be clued into that this is an area of interest.  Although, lumbar spine and disc protrusions are much easier to see on CT than thoracic changes, the latter is also possible but with slightly decreased sensitivity.
Perhaps if nothing is mentioned in the report, you or your Dr. may call the radiologist and specifically ask him/her to review the spine and make an addendum to the report.

Hope this helps.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.