Radiology/silicone

Question
Hello, I have silicone cheek malar implants placed. I went to get a cone beam icat ct scan and the implants didnt show on the skull. I thought facial implants always show up.is this normal?

Answer
Hello, Mike.

Yes, this is normal. Bone blocks x-rays from exposing the film, leaving a transparent area on the image. Areas where x-rays expose the film, like the space surrounding the body part, are black. Different tissue absorbs different amounts of radiation, which creates the gray scale in an x-ray image.

Silicone allows most x-rays to pass through it and reach the film, making silicone almost invisible on x-ray images. Your implants are probably visible to a trained professional, though you might not be able to see them.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White