Hello, I have silicone cheek malar implants placed. I went to get a cone beam icat ct scan and the implants didnt show on the skull. I thought facial implants always show this normal?

Hello, Mike.

Yes, this is normal. Bone blocks x-rays from exposing the film, leaving a transparent area on the image. Areas where x-rays expose the film, like the space surrounding the body part, are black. Different tissue absorbs different amounts of radiation, which creates the gray scale in an x-ray image.

Silicone allows most x-rays to pass through it and reach the film, making silicone almost invisible on x-ray images. Your implants are probably visible to a trained professional, though you might not be able to see them.

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.