Radiology/Using coagulated blood mode

QUESTION: On a ct scan with contrast can the coagulated blood mode determine if a vein is functioning properly?  I was told the differences in my posterior condylar veins was a"sequela of an anatomic asymmetry".  But when i go to coagulated blood mode the one is very visible and the other doesn't show up at all.  Any insight would be very much appreciated.

ANSWER: Hello Peter,

Honestly, you have stumped me. I have never heard of anything close to "coagulated blood" mode for a CT scan or any other radiological study.   May be there is a setting for brightness/contrast of an image that is named that...perhaps I can understand that.  technical terms for brightness and contrast  are window and level (W/L). Is that what you may be referring to?  If so there are different ways to look at the image so certain structures or soft tissues stand out better.  
I would have to look at the image to provide you with further help.
Sorry this is somewhat limited.
let me know if I can be of further assistance.

QUESTION: Hey  Michael,  Sorry I have taken so long to reply, I just found the response notification in my junk mail.  Anyways you are absolutely correct, this "coagulated blood" mode is a preset w/l.  "Bone scan" and "tumor tissue" are also options in the viewer I'm using.  I'm going to attach a few pics of my posterior condylar vein, perhaps you can see if there is something going on. I'm also going to start a new question about a temporal bone scan that I have questions about that may or may not be related.  Thanks again.
Turns out I can only attach 2 images, anyway I can send you more?

Thanks for the images.  The vein on the right side of the image (actually your left vein because the left and right are reversed on imaging) is larger in caliber and carries more flood (this is very normal for venous anatomy).  The flow into it is slightly faster than on the other side. Since the CT was done with IV contrast, the vein stands out more because 1) it has more contrast in it because it is larger, and 2) the contrast may not had hit the other side because the slow through the smaller side is delayed due to smaller venous channels.
I am not worried about it.  in coagulated blood window, the difference in contrast is just greater due to window and leveling and not because of any anomaly.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology