Radiology/Cuboid fracture

Seven weeks ago I injured my foot. Initial X-rays and ultrasounds came back as tendinitis and inflammation. I had a CT scan on the 31/10/13. The report came back as:
"There is a 10mm fracture of the distal inferior aspect of the cuboid in near anatomical alignment. There is some callus formation indicating that Union is progressing but it is not yet complete. The fracture extends to the articular surface distally but without significant loss of joint congruity. "

In simple terms what does this injury mean?

Thank you! :)

Hello Aimee,

In simple terms it means that there is a bone in the middle of your foot is fractured but it already started to heal.  The fracture line extends into the adjacent joint but at this location it really is not a bid deal. Perhaps you may ask your doctor if he/she would advise you not to bear weight on that foot or put a splint for a short period to allow fracture to heal to a greater degree so there is lesser chance of reinjury.

Hope this helps.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology