Radiology/Findings of Cervical spine MRI

Question
QUESTION: Sir,
   I have been suffering from numbness in the feet and hands since 2 months. Recently I was done Cervical spine MRI on the advise of my doctor. The finding is " DESSICATED DIFFUSE DISC BULGES AT C5-C6 AND C6-C7 LEVELS INDENTING THE THECAL SAC ".
   I REQUEST YOU TO PLEASE CLARIFY THIS.
    Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello Inumarty,

I found a great short video about disc dessication here: http://youtu.be/f6GUeygEw7o

Here's a much longer video (almost 1 hour) specifically about neck pain:
http://youtu.be/xFPk4efcJ1g

I think you would benefit from watching both of these videos. Basically, you have 2 bulging discs in your neck that are pressing on the covering of the spinal cord (the thecal sac).

Bulging cervical discs may be the cause of the numbness in your hands, but it would have nothing to do with the numbness in your feet. Nerves that affect your feet emerge from your spinal cord at the low back.

I hope this helps a little.

Best,
Delia

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the reply.
Do you advise me to take MRI of lower back of the spinal cord also?
Expecting your reply.
Inumarty

Answer
Hello Inumarty,

I am not a clinician or physician, so cannot advise you about what imaging exams you need. Your doctor is the only person who can order an imaging exam.

Before you agree to any imaging exam, I recommend you ask whether the results of the imaging test will change the treatment of your problem. In other words, if the treatment to your problem the same, no matter what the radiology report says, then the imaging isn't necessary.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White