Radiology/Hypertrophic gastritis

Question
I had test that was called esophagram and air contrast upper GI exam. Can you tell me what diffuse rugal prominence in the stomach suggesting hypertrophic gastritis. What is it that they saw on the X-ray? Do you know what that is? Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello, Sarah.

There are large folds in the mucous membrane of the stomach called rugal folds. Here is a good image: http://www.springerimages.com/Images/RSS/1-10.1007_s00261-004-0210-7-24

Diffuse rugal prominence describes a pattern of the rugal folds that is symptomatic of hypertrophic gastritis.

Scroll down to the middle of this page for a definition of hypertrophic gastritis.

I cannot advise you on treatment. Ask your doctor for her/his recommendation.

Hope you feel better soon,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White