Radiology/Pneumonia

Question
Hi

How long does a person have pneumonia before it appears on a chest xray?

Thanks

Answer
Hello, Mary,

Pneumonia is a 'catch-all' term for an infection of the lung. So, pneumonia includes several different diseases that may be caused by viruses, bacteria, or fungi.

Different types of pneumonia develop at different rates. Signs of pneumonia include dark yellow or green sputum production in larger amounts than normal, a feeling of congestion that won’t go away, increasing shortness of breath, fever and increasing tiredness.

If you think you have pneumonia, see your physician. You may need antibiotics to fight your lung infection.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White