hi there, I wondering, is it possible to get a full body cancer screening to find out if they have cancer in any part of their body as opposed to only getting a screening for a specific part of the body , such as the breasts, liver, etc..?

Hi, Dan.

Not in Radiology that I'm aware of. There may be a blood test that can detect components related to some types of cancer.

I would not recommend those low-cost, self-referral screening programs where you have a full-body CT scan, either. Self-referred exams are always done without contrast. If disease is discovered, you'll just have to see a physician who will order you to repeat the CT with contrast to get a complete study. That's too much radiation exposure for very little benefit.

In general, a whole body scan wouldn't give enough detail about smaller organs because the field of view is too large.

Hope this helps,

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.