Radiology/CT angiography vs MRA?

Question
I am in my fifties and I have brachial plexus neuritis (BPN).  The MRI in April showed that the disk between C5-C6 is impinging on the spinal cord.  The pain is a bit better than it was when it started.  I am still regularly feeling dizzy though.  Some days it is 3-4 times per day, sometimes it is almost constant.  It is not vertigo.  My blood pressure is fine.  I had that when the BPN started.  Now it is what the doctor would call orthostatic hyptension.  Anyway, the doctor is concerned that:  one of the vertebral arteries may be distorted by movement of one or more of the vertebrae or disks, or stenosis.  He ordered a CT angiogram.  I am concerned about the large dose of x-rays that I would receive from a CT scan.  My question is whether an MRA would be as sensitive as a CT angio?  Thanks for your help!

Answer
Hello, Dave.

Yes, I believe a Carotid MRA would be as sensitive as a CT angio, but I am only the photographer. My expertise is in performing the exam, not deciding which one to perform.

Did you have a pacemaker put in since your last MRI? That would be one reason that your doctor ordered a CT instead of an MRI.

If nothing has changed since your last MRI, I'd recommend you ask your doctor whether an MRA would give him/her the same results as a CTA. If so, ask your doctor to change the order.

There is no ionizing radiation exposure involved with MRI and MR requires much less contrast material than CT.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White