You are here:

Radiology/I dont know who to ask..


Hi, I'm 16 & to start off, one of my breasts is bigger than the other, which I was told was normal. Also, my right nipple, which is on the bigger breast is also bigger than the other & is noticiable. But my question is, first, is that normal? & under my right nipple is like flat smooth nipple looking skin, I'm not sure if it is a birthmark or something else. Its right under my nipple & kind of a bruise looking thing. Any ideas?

Hello, Paige.

Yes, it is normal for one breast to be larger than the other. Don't worry. Having both breasts of identical size is rare.

I'm having difficulty imagining what the "bruise-looking, nipple-looking" skin might be. The skin around the nipple is normally a little darker than the rest of your skin and is called the areola: Is this what you're talking about?

If it is a birthmark, it would have been there all your life. If you're too embarrassed to ask a female relative, school nurse, PE teacher or coach to have a look and see what they think, I recommend you make an appointment with a doctor for a routine checkup.

Hope this helps,


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Delia White


I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.


I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.

©2017 All rights reserved.