Radiology/What is phleboliths medially in knee?

Question
I was bit by a black widow spider 3 weeks ago in my garage, but appeared to have no symptoms.  However, the next morning, I awoke with swelling and pain in my right knee.  I didn't go to doctor because I thought I probably twisted it while cleaning out the garage the day before, and it would eventually heal. Pain has persisted for 3 weeks, have trouble walking, finally went to hospital for x-ray; Dr. assumed I just twisted my knee.  Today, x-rays showed no fracture evident aside from couple of small calcifications likely phleboliths medially.  Dr. gave me report and sent me home. No explanation as to what this means.  I'm still in pain; hurts when I walk.  Could I have an infection of soft tissue due to the spider bite?

Answer
Hello, Bobbie Lee.

Phleboliths are calcifications within a vein, which are normally not problematic. Medially just describes their location in the knee: Medially is closer to the center of your body. Laterally would mean away from the center, more toward the outside.

I'm pretty sure these phleboliths are not what are causing your pain.

It sounds like the spider bite may be the cause of your pain. Here's a good website I found that describes symptoms like yours and how to treat them: http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/ht/blackwidow.htm

If you are still having problems, I recommend you contact your physician and tell him about your spider bite.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White