You are here:

Radiology/suture be seen in ultrasound


I have a polycaproamide long term absorbable suture in my cheek tissue above the bone that may have broken what kind of xray or ultrasound would be able to detect it, so it can be removed.

Hello, Jennifer.

You would need a physician's order to have an imaging procedure of any kind. So, I'd recommend you make an appointment with the surgeon who performed your surgery.

You may not need any imaging. If your injury is a bony injury, and you're concerned about bones shifting, X-ray or CT would probably be best.

Personally, I would avoid x-rays unless the benefit to you is worth exposing your eyes and thyroid to radiation.

I hope this helps,


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Delia White


Please do not ask me to diagnose or interpret images. I am not qualified to do so. I will reject all questions asking for my interpretation of images. I am the photographer, not the physician. I cannot "read" x-rays. Please consult a physician for that information. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.


I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology and am registered as an X-ray, CT and MRI Technologist.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]