Radiology/Differences between Fluoro

Question

I was reading this (http://www.mwmc.com/Files/Documents/ppt/FLUOROLECTURE407112007.ppt) which has a chart stating that there is "normal fluoro" and "high level fluoro". What does that mean? Is it trying to say digital, pulsed fluoro, versus the continous film types? It isn't very clear to me.

Under that same chart it says under high fluoro, just 15 minutes of exposure could cause erythema to a patient. Does that seem accurate?

I have a copy of medical records and in one of my several instances of having VCUGs in my childhood  (I'm 21) it says under the report that the "Feeding tube was inserted at 14:00 hours", "bare transferred to x-ray tech 14:09", and  "feeding tube removed  at 14:15" hours. That seems to be about 15 minutes...Am I at risk?

All the other procedures seemed to have taken between 6-10ish minutes I would guess, based off the similar written structure of all the other reports of them I have. I had one about every 10 or 11 months between the ages of 4 and 8, I think.

Thanks,

Jesse

Answer
Hello again, Jesse.

I believe the report is referring to the increased exposure required to penetrate an obese patient as "high level" fluoro. This would not apply to the exposure required to penetrate a child.

Yes, it does seem accurate that 15 minutes of high level fluoro would cause erythema (redness of the skin).

You were not under fluoro from 14:00 hours until 14:15. The X-ray tech didn't receive you untel 14:09. VCUG procedure is to fill the urinary bladder with x-ray contrast through a catheter without fluoroscopy. The radiologist then watches the patient under fluoro as the catheter is removed and the patient urinates. It is a very brief exposure.

At risk for what? Erythema would have happened immediately after exposure. I don't have any more information about your risk than I have stated previously.

Best,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White