Radiology/Breast Ultrasound

Question
Hi Dr. White, I was wondering if an ultrasound can still be viable for a woman with dense breasts.  My fiancee recently had a mammogram that yielded no results.  When she received the ultrasound the technician remarked that her tissue was really dense and that she could not see anything.  I understand techs are not there to interpret results, but is this situation at all normal or should she seek another ultrasound from a different clinic?  Thank you so much!

Answer
Hello, John.

First, I am not a physician. I am a Technologist trained to take the pictures, not to read them.

An ultrasound is the "go to" exam for dense breasts if a mammogram is inconclusive. The comment made by the ultrasound tech that "she could not see anything" could mean that she could not see any abnormality or pathology.

The situation you describe seems normal enough to me. But, your fiancee is the one who knows her body best. If she feels a lump or anything suspicious and is not satisfied with the results achieved so far, she should absolutely get a second opinion.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White