Radiology/Pet/CT Scan Results

Question
I am 32 yo male who was diagnosed with NLPHL Stage III-B in January of 2012. I was treated with 6 rounds of R-CHOP. I was in remission at the end of treatment. I go for a follow up PET/CT every 6 months. This time my report came back with some abnormalities. The first being that there is bilateral uptake in my adrenal glans with an SUV of 4.4 Max. Also, there was asymmetric uptake found in the pterygoid muscles and the muscles of the scapular region. Lastly, there is a small sclerotic focus in the left femoral neck, which the report says may be a bone island.

Should I be concerned about these findings? The impression was extremely brief and simply said "NO EVIDENCE OF HYPERMETABOLIC FOCUS TO SUGGEST ACTIVE OR RECURRENT LYMPHOMA".

Answer
Hello, Santo.

First, I am not a physician, therefore not qualified to diagnose disease. I am only the photographer. If you have questions about whether you should be concerned about these findings, please consult the doctor that ordered this test. If this doctor cannot or will not take the time to explain it to you, find another who will.

Keep in mind that radiologists (the specialist who interprets medical imaging) are trained to describe in detail everything they see in an imaging study. So the fact that something is mentioned doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing. It's just a detailed description of what the image shows.

The impression is a summary of the most important findings of a radiology report. This report states that there is "NO EVIDENCE to suggest active or recurrent lymphoma." which is GOOD NEWS. Sounds like you're all clear.

But again, I encourage you to discuss these results with your doctor. S/he is in the best position to answer all your questions.

Hope this helps,
Delia  

Radiology

Delia White