Radiology/CT Angiogram

Question
It has been recommended that I undergo an abdominal/pelvic CT for evaluation of hematuria however I am concerned about excess radiation since I have had a number of imaging studies over the last several years.  I had a CT Angiogram of the chest and abdomen  on 11/13/12. The report states: "the spleen, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts, adrenal glands and bilateral kidneys are unremarkable."  So my questions are these: 1.  What was viewed on the CT Angiogram.  In other words would the radiologist have been able to visualize the organs in addition to the vessels; and, 2. Are there other studies that can be done to evaluate the same organs as the proposed CT?  Thank you for your help.

Answer
John,

Any risk from CT is minimal compared with finding a cause fro hematuria which could be a malignancy in the kidney, ureter, or bladder.  So while there is media hype about radiation risks, we need to keep the true perspective in line.  If you need the exam, and sounds like you need it, then don't worry about getting a little radiation.  CT angiogram does include the organs but in a different phase of contrast enhancement and many types of lesions may not be visible on CT angiogram which predominantly looks at arteries.
I would say that CT would be the standard of care in your situation and pretty much the most approprate study at this point.

Hope this helps.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.