Radiology/question about findings on ct scan

Question
i had a ct scan done on 7/29/13 and there was a significant ammount of fluid that was found in the region of the gallbladder fossa and a dialated cystic duct remnant and biloma/seroma. i had my gallbladder removed in 1998 what does this mean

Answer
Kristina,

Well...I am not sure I am able to further clarify this.  Sometimes the common bile duct and cystic duct remnants are dilated after surgery and this usually have no significance.  However, regarding the fluid that may be a biloma or seroma, that needs to be further evaluated or perhaps if you have any prior scans from the time of surgery then one may compare the two...but my guess is that if everything went well you only have US of your gall bladder prior to surgery...
Hence, this fluid may have been there since surgery and no one knew about it since you didn't have any symptoms. I guess at this point further work up will depend on your current symptoms. Why did you get a scan this time?  was it generalized abnominal pain?  it would be highly unusual for some surgical complication like biloma to develop after so many years.
I vote that if this is really a fluid collection in the area of surgery then perhaps it has been there for a long time.  Of course, if you have new symptoms in the right upper quadrant then it needs a further look and probably surgical consult just for them to see what is on CT scan and correlate with prior operative report.

Hope this helps somewhat.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.