Hi Lauren - I am a 73yo male in fairly good health. I have some enlargement of lymph nodes in armpits and groin. My doc wants me to have a PET scan, which I am apprehensive of, as I have had a lot of X-rays in my life (5 CT scans in the last 8 years) plus x-rays for other minor reasons.

I am wondering if a biopsy of the lymph nodes and an ultrasound or MRI would accomplish the same objective.Thanks.

I'd imagine that the reason your doctor ordered the PET scan is to see if there are any other lymph node enlargements in other parts of your body.  A PET scan can also show and highly active areas to see if there may be something else going on like an infection or cancer.  I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for, but this may precede a biopsy if necessary.  Good luck.

I can answer questions about most radiologic examinations and procedures (like X-rays, CTA scans, angiograms etc) . I can help guide you through what to expect during your procedure, safety concerns and postoperative care questions. I can not diagnose you online. Please do not include images as I can not give my opinion on them.

I have been a Physician Assistant (PA) since 2006 practicing in a hospital. We perform exams such as angiograms, angioplasty, atherectomy, biopsies, tumor ablations, UFE and catheter insertions.

Bachelors Degree in Radiologic Science, licensed Radiologic Technologist, NCCPA Certified Physician Assistant