Radiology/US Thyroid,Parathyroid/Neck Sonogram

Question
Hi Michael K.,
     My Dr. ordered  ultrasound of thyroid, parathyroid and neck cause for past 5 months or so I have been very tired, slightly hoarse voice, feels like there is a slight lump in my throat, my throat often feels dry and I often feel like I have to clear my throat.  
     Technique:  Grayscale and color Doppler images were obtained of the thyroid.
     Results:  The right thyroid lobe measures 3.9 x 1 x 1.3cm.  The left thyroid lobe measures 3.6 x 1.1 x 1.8 cm.  The isthmus measures 0.4 cm.  The background thyroid parenchyma is heterogeneous and vascularity is normal.
     A solid hypoechoic right upper pole nodule measures 0.6 x 0.4 x 0.6 cm.
     Impression;  Heterogeneous thyroid gland with a subcentimeter right thyroid nodule as above.
     What does all this mean??  Should I be worried??  Can a  slight allergy or unseasonal weather cause these symptoms??
         thank you, Sheila

Answer
Hello Sheila,

I think the finding of a solid nodule is completely incidental.  These types of findings are very very common.  Sometimes doctors want to biopsy nodules in the thyroid. Yours is too small for a sufficient biopsy. I would probably get a follow up in 3-6 month to see if it is growing. If it grows then it needs to be biopsied.  Most of the time such nodules are benign.
I read your other additional comments which are helpful but I feel that none of the history you provided are relevant to the only finding of the nodule. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just get a follow up ultrasound.

let me know if I can clarify further.

Hope this helps.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.