Radiology/Abdominal Ultrasound

Hi Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to review my question. I have been having upper left ribcage pain fairly regularly for 1 year. Chest xray and labs negative. So GP sent me for abd.u/s which was done by a sonographer not an MD. I noticed at the end of the test he cleaned up my abdomen but kept me talking for about 5 minutes. I wondered if the radiologist was in another room viewing the results before letting me go, like when I have a mammogram. Is that standard practice?

hello Chana,

MD do not do US on a regular basis. it is a job of a sonographer who is a technologist specifically trained in US.  It is true that mammo US is a bit different and requires a bit more of a MD involvement but even then some practices have US techs do the mammo US with a radiologist in the next room reviewing the images and if necessary coming into the room and looking him/herself.
Your experience is standard of practice for an US. It depends on a practice if a radiologists review images right away prior to letting the patient go.  It is certainly a part of practice where I work and is a better way.  Radiologists however doesn't necessarily review the images to the point of making a diagnosis and report but rather for quality and to make a decision on any additional images that may be necessary.

Hope this is helpful.

Michael K.

Almost any kind of questions regarding any types of radiology exams, procedures, meaning of radiology reports etc...

12 year experience in the field of radiology

American Society of Neuroradiology, Senior Member Society of Pediatric Radiology, Active Member

Radiology Seminars in pediatric neurology American Journal of Roentgenology American Journal of Neuroradiology

Board Certified in Diagnostic Radiology Additional Certificate of Qualification in Neuroradiology