Radiology/Ultrasound Question

Question
I have had two major shoulder surgeries. One surgery was for a detached Rhomboid muscle and detached low Trapezeis muscle. The second surgery was for the same trap muscle that fell down again. The orthropedic surgeon told me it wont show up on a mri, a detached rhomboid muscle or low trap muscle. Also, I ask him if it could be showed on a ultrasound of the Rhomboid and Trap Muscle. He brushed off this questions. I have read much information from ultrasound that it is good at seeing torn muscles. I cant get a straight answer.I am in unbearable pain.  The question I have is if a Ultrasound will show a torn Rhomboid Muscle, and a torn lower Trapezius muscle, or any sign of these two muscle not in the correct place.   Thanks, Todd.

Answer
Todd, Sorry for the delay in replying.
I am not sure your surgeon told you that MRI will not see muscular tear.  It is the most sensitive exam for such abnormalities. US is okay and certainly less expansive and widely used in Europe but here in US, MRI would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

MK

Radiology

Michael K.