Radiology/Radiology tech



is there a difference between a radiology technician and a radiologist?

Is there a difference between the person who actually takes pictures of your broken bones and the person who tells you what is broken? or is it the same person

Yes there is a difference.  The person that does the imaging is a Radiologic Technologist.  They attend at least a 2 year program dedicated to the study and practice of anatomy, radiation physics, positioning for images etc.  in the end of the program they take an exam to becom registered and hold a license in the nation and state level.  

The person that officially reads the images is an MD with a specialty in Radiology (a Radiologist) this person attends 4 years of medical school after college, like all other physicians and then specializes (and does a residency program) in Radiology.

Hope this helps.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer questions about most radiologic examinations and procedures (like X-rays, CTA scans, angiograms etc) . I can help guide you through what to expect during your procedure, safety concerns and postoperative care questions. I can not diagnose you online. Please do not include images as I can not give my opinion on them.


I have been a Physician Assistant (PA) since 2006 practicing in a hospital. We perform exams such as angiograms, angioplasty, atherectomy, biopsies, tumor ablations, UFE and catheter insertions.

Bachelors Degree in Radiologic Science, licensed Radiologic Technologist, NCCPA Certified Physician Assistant

©2017 All rights reserved.