Radiology/Scared

Question
Hello, back in July I had a ct scan of the abdomen and pelvis and ten days later had a barium swallow, then 2 months later had a ct of the head, am I at risk for cancer from these, also I had multiple chest X-rays as well.

Answer
Hello, Amber.

You are right to keep track of your radiation exposure. Your risk of developing cancer from these exams is still very low, especially as time goes by.

Here is a good website with info on the radiation exposure associated with these imaging exams: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safety/?pg=sfty_xray

I would advise you not to worry about developing cancer from these few studies. The chances of that are really slim.

Hope this helps a little,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White