Radiology/Becoming a rad tech.

Question
QUESTION: Hello!!!

I am thinking of pursuing a degree radiology tech! I want to be the technician, not the radiologist.

My local college has a program but it is competitive and one thing I have to do to be considered for acceptance is to take a special exam called the A2 exam. I am confident on the reading/writing portion, however I have always struggled with  math.

My question is, is this field math intensive? Will it be something I will have to learn a lot of and use often?

I'm OK with basic math but past pre-algebra I am lost. :(

ANSWER: Hi, Kayla.

I would have to say that yes, the Rad Tech curriculum is more math intensive than other fields. In any medical field, you'll have to learn formulas and how to calculate various treatment dosage, etc.

However, once you've graduated and are actually working in the field, you don't really need to make these types of calculations frequently, if at all. Everything is computerized. Learning the physics can be brutal, but once you've passed your registry test a lot of what you do is managed by computer software.

I encourage you to visit a radiology department to get a feel for what being a Rad Tech entails. It can be a very physical job when you have to move patients from bed to stretcher, etc. I have rarely been unemployed as a Rad Tech. I recommend it as a stable, dependable career.

Best of luck to you!
Delia

QUESTION: Yes I was aware of the physical parts. I've worked in a retail warehouse for the past . Years so I am not too worried about that.

do you have to get separate degrees to learn xray, MRI, catscan etc? From what I understand from this program is only an associates program.

Answer
Hi, Kayla.

The associates program is in Radiologic Technology. That's enough to get you ready for your X-ray license. CT, MRI & Special Procedures are usually on-the-job training for Rad Techs, if you're lucky enough to find a facility that will train you. Ultrasound and Nuclear Medicine require more formal training.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White