Radiology/MRI

Question
Hello. I have had many previous spine surgeries (Hardware from L3-S1). I am now having another MRI to look at L1-3. Would a 3 Tesla MRI vs a 1.5 Tesla be better, or would it create too much artifact and blur the results? What would the standard be for a patient with hardware (rods/spacers/screws) 1.5T or 3T?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello, Troy.

I have no experience with a 3T magnet. That being said, I did a little research and found this technical article:
https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-2004-820843

The way I understand this article, it looks like the Radio Frequency artifacts would be less in a 1.5T than in a 3T magnet. So, I would say that you should be scanned in a 1.5T magnet.

For more information, I recommend you ask a radiologist or your ordering physician.

Hope this helps,
Delia

Radiology

Delia White