Radiology/MRI access question

Hi Delia, If there were to be an emergency while a patient is in an MRI, and they had to get themselves out of the MRI machine, could the patient then also get out of the room by themselves?  I.E, do the doors to the room open from the inside?
 Thanks much!

Hello, Jesse.

Yes, without exception doors into MRI scanner rooms DO open from the inside. If you are claustrophobic or have any such concerns, please tell your MRI Technologist.

I understand the feeling of wanting to get out of the machine yourself - I'm claustrophobic, too! But, you may hurt yourself trying to climb out of the scanner. It's always best to signal your technologist if you need help.

Delia White

I am not qualified to interpret diagnostic imaging or to diagnose disease. Please consult a physician for that information. I am the photographer. I can tell you what to expect during most MRI, CT and X-ray procedures.

I now have more than 30 years experience in diagnostic imaging. My specialty is MRI. I am also very familiar with CT and the way we used to take x-rays (everything's digital now)!

I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Radiologic Technology.